Sunday, December 30, 2007

I feel that it is my responsibility to write and to keep our family, friends and supporters up to date on what we are doing here. We are so conscious of the fact that we are only here because of the generosity and calling of others to give and support us, and we don’t want to neglect communication and connection with those that have given so much. But, I find myself in a difficult place because I don’t know what to write. Sometimes honesty isn’t what people want to hear, but it’s all I’ve got.

Often I have daydreams of different people from home coming to visit us, and I try to picture explaining to them what life is like here….what our life here is like. Each time, I give up on the daydream realizing that it seems an impossible thing to communicate. Even those who visit temporarily cannot understand, as things appear different when looking through a long-term lense. It’s like the difference between looking at something with the naked eye and then looking at it through a microscope- you are seeing the same physical object, but your proximity to it alters your view drastically. I am stuck in the microscope, and I can’t remember what things look like without it.

I don’t think it is necessarily a bad thing that I have a different view of things than others may. I think what scares me is that I don’t understand my own view and myself in light of this new world we live in. When I lived in America, I knew myself. I knew who I was, where I was going; I knew what was important in life and what wasn’t. I knew my spiritual self. Now, I feel like someone put my life in a blender, turned it on high-speed and walked away, forgetting that you are supposed to turn it off at some point.

I am not sure I remember on most days why we are here. We came because we felt Jesus calling us to love other people, that He was calling us to love in a way that most people never understand- wholly, sacrificially and selflessly. When we made that decision, I felt a sense of calling and clarity that made it the undeniably right choice. I wanted to offer whatever love and hope I had been given to those who needed it the most. But, here I am and I’m not sure I have anything of value to give anyone, and it seems that the person I am most concerned with helping is myself. Why is it that I have traveled the whole world in an act of supposed selfless obedience, and the only person I can think about is myself? Why is it that when you set out to do God’s work you realize that you are anything but Godly?

I know most missionaries write home and tell people all of these encouraging stories of the wonderful work they are doing. I think that, God-willing, we will have those stories as time goes on. But, you know, I’m just not there yet. The truth is that this is just hard. It is not hard in that we are hungry or poor or sick. But it is difficult in that we are being forced to look at life and at ourselves in a different way, and it is hard to realize that when push comes to shove, you aren’t as good as you thought you were. It took me a while to find God in the world I was born into, and I think it is going to take me a little while to find Him and understand Him in this one too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Courtney, I have just come home recently from Lilongwe, actually the village of NJEWA. My husband and I were there on a humanitarian mission to assist in building a new school and a seacan medical clinic in the main village of Njewa through a group called Bennys Hope. It was the most amazing experience of our lives, I fell in love with the people and the children stole my heart completley. I can understand about the red dirt, I think I finally just got it out of all my crevices! Even though I loved the experience I too went through many tough thoughts about the situation there and also found I have a lot less patience then I thought. I found that even the very educated individuals that we dealt with had very limited abilities and even some of the carpenters "forgot" how to do things overnight and had to be retaught, besides the fact that a trip into Lilongwe ended up being an all day thing just to get pick up some necessities. We were informed by Dr. Solomon that the lack of protein while growing up has caused some of the villagers to literally have different brain functions and can not learn quite like we do, once understanding these kinds of things I found my patience was a little better. As for dreaming of a pedicure, I feel ya, my hair felt like straw for about a week after we got home and I did not have a hot shower the entire trip except on the way home in the Ethiopian hotel, on the other hand I felt so bad wishing these things because basically feet from where I was someone was sleeping on a dirt floor and only dreamed of the accomodations I had, it seems to tear you in half, your guilt and guilty thoughts get to you. It especially hit me when we got home- how clean everything in Canada is, how MUCH we have, how little my little African friends don't. I had many days where I would break down and pray to be back in the village, it seems to have gotten in my blood. I know you are doing amazing things, even if it is just giving one "wakuda" child a quick hug from an "azungu" woman. I hope to talk again, I will be keeping watch on your website, keep your spirits up, believe that God knows what he is doing and belive that you have so much to give even if what you THOUGHT you had to give is not what you are finding out is needed. Give a little one a hug for me, have empathy for the medical things you thought you would never see and compassion for all that are in need and forgive yourself for what you wished you had, it's only natural to want what you know is normal FOR YOU!! I believe in you both, even though I don't know you, Have an amazing day. Katherynne

Anonymous said...

Aloha Courtney!
You guys have really been on my mind and in my prayers lately. I remember how odd the holiday's felt being so far from home. I pray that you two had a wonderful Christmas together. I think it is amazing that you are together! What a wonderful experience to have in a marriage.
I can really relate with you on feeling a little lost in it all. I think that sums your last blog up? Everything is so new and different and I remember not even knowing how to react. It seemed the way I did respond was not even myself! I went through a very very hard first 3 months. I was not in such a wonderful living space and the old house had bars on the windows. Literally, I felt like I was in prison. The anxiety I felt was unexpecting and undescribable. Plus, I wasnt even sure what the heck I was supposed to do. I want to encourage you by a little advice. Enjoy the people around you and build up your relationships! Thats when God works best in our lives. When we just focus on letting him be in control and love others. It took me a long time to realize that the malawian people were encourage that I made the journey. Or that my parents let me make the journey :) THey are blessed even if we do not accomplish a thing. they will remember you came and shined love and light in their lives. The amount that we want to do is nothing compared to the small things he has in store for us. The small, unexpected blessings. Looking back, I wish I spent more time with the children, in the village, talking to the widows, dancing in Toms church. Have you visited the babies the ministry of Hope?? Sometimes I would just go there and help the aunties with the babies. Sometimes they have 25-30 babies to care for!! Young ones. I am glad to hear that you are learning Chichewa. That was not included in my budget and I struggled for a long time. The more I learned the better I felt in the village. Ok, that is enough for tonight. I am praying for you two and know that God is using this in ways we could never even imagine. Oh yeah, There is a spa next to the expensive grocery store?? They give pedicures and more and don't even feel bad when you need to treat yourself. We all needed it once in a while. I also got my hair done there, they are very good.
For now, Good day to you and God bless. Send me an e-mail if you get a chance. I would love to hear more and help out with encouragement anytime you are feeling in need.
Love and Aloha,
Elizabeth
Have you plugged into the social nights at ABC?? THe Chin Chins usually have a potluck once a week and a lot of missionaries go and talk story. It is very white but is encouraging. Check it out!!

Rumble said...

Read your blog and am sure you (and your readers) would be interested in the short video we made when we were in Malawi. You may have to copy the link into your browser:
http://www.rumblelimited.tv/malawi